Infrastructure management is concerned with assessing the need for, operating and maintaining assets that are at the core of society. Facility Management is a business science aimed at creating an efficient work place which supports a continuous work environment. This is required to provide the cutting edge necessary in today's competitive market-driven environment. It encompasses multiple disciplines, which address the functionality of the built environment, integrating people, place, process and technology. Facility Managers must have a working knowledge of building systems, structure, interiors, and exteriors to ensure a satisfactory work environment for its occupants.
Aims & Objectives
** Make the students aware about the social, political, and economic contexts in which infrastructure is provided and decisions are made.
** Operate the facility at the highest possible efficiency with quality services and performance levels.
** Provide experiences in leadership, citizenship, and professionalism.
** Continual improvement of programs and facilities to ensure responsiveness to the needs of civil and environ-mental engineering practice.
** Enable students to focus on infrastructure as an integrated system and prepare students for managing public works budgets, large capital investments, and maintenance expenditures.
** Improve productivity and availability of business processes, people, and IT assets
** Ensure that vital IT assets are performing to meet the business service needs
** Manage mainframe eco-systems and mask complexities through integration
** Optimize operating systems, networks, and middle ware, ensuring maximum performance to enable business success
** Reduce costs by right sizing and right timing infrastructure resource deployments
** Collect data and manage diverse platforms by sharing common tools and services
Course Contents Coverage
The following major disciplines are covered:
- Appropriate and New Technologies
- Bridge Engineering
- Contract Management
- Durability of Structures
- Integrated Transport Planning
- Information & Communications Technology (lCT) applications
- Facility Management Fundamentals
- Facility Management Business Workshop
- Green Building Initiatives
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Leading the Organization
- Managing the Facility
- Operations Techniques and Management
- Rail Engineering
- Supporting the Business
- Statutory Compliance
- Strategic Environment Assessment (SEA)
- Transport System Design
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Waste Management
Potential Areas of Job Opportunities
After completion of the course, the students have wide job opportunities in many areas namely:
- Cost-of-Service Analysts
- Engineers and Planners
- Economic and Financial Analysts
- Facility Marketing Agents
- Facility Operations Specialists
- Investment Bankers
- Management Consultants
- Program Managers
- Policy and Regulatory Analysts Real Estate Development Specialists
Contact Addresses of Institutions offering Different Courses:-
1. IFMI, 264/ 265, 18th E Main, HAL II Stage, Indian Nagar, Bangalore www: ifmaindia .org
Telephone: 080-5530 5333/5888
2. Different Courses and training programs are also offered by The National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management (NILIM) 1, Asahi, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan
3. The School of Management for Infrastructure & Development Strategies - India (MINDS) is conducting One Year Trimester Full Time Post Graduate Diploma in Infrastructure Management (PGDIM) & Two Year Full Time MBA (Infrastructure) in association with Visvesvaraya Technological University ), 20th Main, 80 Feet Road, Koramangala, Banga-lore-560095, Website: minds-india.org
4. M.Sc. (one year, full-time, two years, part-time) /Post Graduate Diploma (nine months, full-time, two years, part-time)/Post Graduate Certificate (nine months, full-time, two years, part-time) in Infrastructure Management offered by Faculty of Science, Engineering & Environment, School of Computing, Science & Engineering. Website address www.cse.salford.ac.uk
5. The ITT Technical Institute in Indianapolis, Indiana offers online education courses by School of Business Masters Degree in Business Administration & Bachelor Degree in Business Administration with specialization in project management
6. Walden University is offering MBA with specialization in Technical Project Management.
7. AIU Online offers distance career training in virtual classrooms in BBA and MBA with focus in Project Management.
8. Virginia College Online is offering management education in infrastructure management related courses.
9. University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh offering Post Graduate Diploma In Planning & Project Management of 1 year duration (through distance mode). Contact Address: University of Hyderabad, Centre for Distance Education, Hyderabad 500046, and Telephone: 040-3010500, 3010120, 3010121, 3010345, 253951 Website: www.uohyd.ernet.in
10. The Director, Directorate of Distance Education, Alagappa University, Karaikudi Tamil Nadu -630003 offering PG Courses (2 years) MBA (Project Management) through distance education mode. Contact Telephone: 04565 -229230 Website-www.aluniv.org
Interested students should contact the concerned institute regarding eligibility criteria and other details before taking admission.
— Dr. A.G. Matani
(Lecturer-Mech. Engg., Govt. College of Engineering, Amravati-444604 M.S.) Courtesy- EN